Here is a resource for those that are looking to interview for business/consulting related positions. These are taken from actual interviews! A couple of the “Thinking Questions” were asked during Google interviews. I will continue to add to this list as I hear feedback from interviewers! If YOU would like to add more questions, please do so
- How do you value a corporation?
- When do companies typically buy back stock?
- Why would a company issue stock rather than debt to finance its operations?
- What are some reasons a company would issue debt rather than equity to finance its operations?
- Where did the S&P 500 close yesterday?
- Who is a more senior creditor, a stockholder or a bondholder?
- Explain how a swap works.
- What would you do if you weren’t going into investment banking?
- What do you know about the culture of this firm vs. other firms?
- What do you think an investment banker actually does on a day-to-day basis?
- How would you go about valuing this department for a hypothetical spin-off?
Thinking Questions: (Google is famous for asking questions like this)
- Why are manhole covers round?
- Given a barometer, calculate the height of this building.
- If you look at a clock and the time is exactly 3:15, what is the angle between the hour and minute hands? (The answer is not zero, it is 7.5 degrees)
- How many golf balls will fit in a bus?
- How much should you charge to wash all the windows in Seattle?
- Estimate how many shoes are sold in the US each year
- Estimate the number of gallons of gasoline a typical gas station pumps in a given weekday
- Estimate how the total industry wide sales of lipstick in the US
- Estimate how many tires are sold in the US every year.
Case Study Questions:
- The NBA is contemplating a bigger expansion into China. Should it?
- A copper mining company is losing money. The CEO asks you to figure out why, and what to do about it.
- A ski resort is having a poor revenue year due to light snowfall. Should it invest in snow making equipment? The CEO asks you to figure out why and what to do about it.
- For a gas station convenience store, what is the optimal layout for the different types of goods are arranged within the store.
- A steel manufacturing company is contemplating buying one of its competitors. Should it?
- A bank is considering offering loans to sub-prime borrowers. Should it?